SIMON VS. THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA REVIEW

01:10

BY BECKY ALBERTALLI

So moving house is difficult and stressful and I haven’t had internet for like 3 weeks and when I do finally get internet, my laptop charger breaks. I’m having the best time!
On the other hand I have read like 11 books in the past 2 weeks so it can’t be all that bad!

So yesterday I bought Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, and I read it in like 3 hours.

Sometimes you come across a book so simple but so full of heart and wonder and you just love it so much. This is that book.



The protagonist is a 16 year old teen named Simon, we follow his story about his unconventional coming out and his tales about falling in love with a boy over email.
Simon is an extremely relatable character, he has his flaws and his quirks but he is also a decent human being who you root for in his tests of life.

This book is surrounded by the idea of acceptance and Simon with his hugely supportive family and his not so perfect friendships; it really is a super realistic book. I mean who doesn’t have fights, falling outs and miscommunications troubles with their friends.  They fight and make up like real, true friends do.

This book is very quotable, much of what is said in this book I wanted printed on a t-shirt. I found that a majority of this book was about how coming out to your parents, friends, and pretty much everyone else, never ends. You never stop doing it. It can’t get exhausting and I found this quote fits the entire book in a mere few sentences.

‘’But I'm tired of coming out. All I ever do is come out. I try not to change, but I keep changing, in all these tiny ways. And every freaking time, I have to reintroduce myself to the universe all over again.”

I haven’t read a lot of LGBTQ+ fiction before, mainly because it’s so god damn sparse in the book world….or at least in Australia. Can we start fixing this please!  But I want to start reading more fiction with queer characters, not even just completely Gay fiction but I wish authors would add more representation in their work. Its 2015 I think it’s about time where I can read a book this isn’t just about straight white people doing things.   

 “White shouldn't be the default any more than straight should be the default. There shouldn't even be a default.”

I rate Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda

4.5/5 stars 

If you have any book recommendations please let me know

if you would like to be my friend and watch each other read books (sounded ultra creepy) add me on Goodreads

Until the next time I read a book 

Chelsie xox

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts